Friday, July 17, 2009

When You are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris

David Sedaris is a genuine win for anyone who likes semi-autobiographical comedies. David writes darkly humorous yet touching stories about his family, friends, and people he has met throughout his life. Anytime I finish a story I can always laugh and think about someone I have met that does the exact same thing. "When You Are Engulfed in Flames" is his newest short story collection, but I would recommend any of his titles.

1 comment:

Vicki said...

I agree. He is great! I am listening to that on sound recording right now which is nice because he reads it himself and his delivery makes it even funnier. Actually, some he records in front of an audience which is fun. His "Me talk pretty one day" is also a great one. I love whenever he tells about his time in France struggling with the language. It's laugh-out-loud funny (although sometimes he can be quite dark, as you said.) Anyway, I highly recommend getting his books on tape, especially if you've never heard him before. He has this deadpan style that can be hilarious.