Tuesday, February 17, 2009

They do say diamonds are a girl's best friend....

I just finished reading "The Necklace: Thirteen Women and the Experiment that Transformed their Lives" by the Women of Jewelia and Cheryl Jarvis, after seeing a newsclip of the story on a morning news program. I was intrigued by the idea of the experiment, sharing a $35,000.00 dollar necklace among 13 unrelated women, and by the bonds that formed between these women of vastly different backgrounds.

While the story of the diamonds was unique and fun, I was inspired more by the impact that the group of thirteen has had on their community and the lives of everyday people. The book certainly caused me to pause and consider the materialism of our society, and the great divide between the "haves" and the "have nots." I have experienced the kindness of others when I was in need, and while I cannot forsee myself becomming involved in anything close to the scope of what the thirteen women of "the necklace" have done, I do hope that someday I, too, will be able to make an impact in the life of just one person who has hit a rough patch in life. "The Necklace" has given me a little inspiration that with a little help, that just might be possible.

No comments: